Friday 22 November 2013

(Not Sega) Genesis

Today I spent my lunchtime setting up a new 68K ASM project that will become NeoKong (aka Neo Geo port of the arcade Donkey Kong). I've decided to stick with the GNU assembler for compatibility with C projects and the devkit, and I also figured (rightly or wrongly) that it was the de-facto standard assembler for Neo Geo development.

As it stands, my code instructs the BIOS to run the eye-catcher animation, sets the stack pointer, acknowledges interrupts and then loops kicking the watchdog. Not too exciting I admit, but it took a bit of time to convert the header files from the (ASW-based) sprite sample source from the Neo Geo Development Wiki page for GNU AS.

Now the fun begins.

3 comments:

  1. Just found this blog and read all your posts and this is the most awesome project ever! I got into FPGA recently and planning to use it for simplify arcade pcbs. But Neogeo have allways been my favourite system, and i have around 60 carts for the system, a couple of aes consoles and some mvs boards. I couldnt wish for a better project than this! Just sad that I cant help with it since im totally new to FPGAs and have a long road infront of me while learning. I will follow this project every day :). If there is anything else that I could do to help, then just ask man! Best regards from Sweden / Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It certainly is an exciting project and one that frustrates me with my lack of time, so the best I can do is to work on related Neo Geo projects whilst I try to arrange further progress on the PCB...

    If you're getting into FPGA arcade emulation, check out my project page at

    ReplyDelete