Saturday 30 November 2013

A title fit for a Kong

Not a lot more work required to produce the title screen (sans sprites)...

Donkey Kong (left) vs. Neo Kong (right) sans sprites

I've patched the main sequencer to skip the game-play demo and go to the title screen, which flashes for a few seconds like the real deal. Obviously Mr Kong is made from sprites - 10 to be exact. Now it's time to undo the patch and at least get the game-play demo screen rendered. Here the code gets a little more involved and again there are some sections I'm yet to reverse-engineer. However, I don't think it's going to be a huge amount of work to see the main background for level 1 (a.k.a. the barrel level).

I've also got a 'define' in the source for which level the game-play demo uses. Obviously Mario's attract-mode movements aren't going to be suited to the other levels, but at least at a later date I can have each of the levels rendered without delving into the game-play proper.

3 comments:

  1. Hi tc, I'm roglio! Could you please check why I keep getting "Could not find phrase 'security_token_missing'." once logged on pacedev.net?
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's broken for everyone atm. My colleague Chris tried to upgrade the software, and ran into issues. He's supposed to look into fixing it, but he's in the US (I'm in Australia) so it's hard for me to hit him with a stick! ;)

    ReplyDelete