Sunday 3 November 2013

From the ashes.

Real Life time demands are still preventing me from working on the hardware atm.

However I have been somewhat motivated since I recently discovered the existence of the Neopen BIOS project! With the UNIBIOS project and now this, there's evidently a few people floating around that are quite familiar with the Neo Geo BIOS; something that I think will be useful - if not required - when I get into the thick of HDL emulation of the system. It would also be cool to be able to contribute to the Neopen BIOS project!

To this end, I've started my own disassembly of the Neo Geo BIOS. Or rather the US 6-slot version - SP-E.SP1 - to be exact. Obviously I'm covering ground well-trodden by others, but the idea is to really learn about the system internals, and there's no better way than to reverse-engineer it yourself!

I'm no stranger to disassembling to reverse-engineer hardware platforms either, having all-but-completely commented Space Invaders (Z80), Tutankham (6809) and MSX Lode Runner (Z80). As for 68K, I've done a bit of work on Namco Classics Vol.1 whilst writing the MAME driver. These aside, I've also had to dig into dozens of arcade games and micro computer BIOS'es whilst attempting to emulate them in an FPGA.

The other good thing about it is that it's something I can pick up and work on whenever I've got a spare 20 minutes or so, whether it be at work or at home. So hopefully I can keep trucking along and also keep motivated about getting the hardware off the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment